Complaints and Disputes
The Confederation of Roofing Contractors offer a free mediation service should a consumer find themselves in a dispute with a member.
The Confederation of Roofing Contractors are a trade association and are not regulated by the government. This does mean that we only govern our members in relation to their membership with us.
Before contacting the Confederation of Roofing Contractors we would ask that these steps have been followed before seeking our assistance:
- Contact the Confederation of Roofing Contractors member to see if a resolution can be reached.
- Ensure all correspondence is saved to pass onto the Confederation of Roofing Contractors should we be needed to mediate.
- Ensure no one at all goes onto that roof whilst mediation is being carried out. This is very important. You cannot have another roofing firm on your roof without independent evidence from an independent/RICS inspector. Anyone else on the roof will invalidate any guarantees or claims you may have.
- If a consumer cannot resolve a dispute directly with the contractor, please complete the complaints form providing as much detail as possible.
What can we do?
Once the Confederation of Roofing Contractors are in receipt of a customer’s complaint form we will contact the member (if we have been given permission) and provide details of the complaint for them to respond to. As per our code of practice the Confederation of Roofing Contractors expect all members to respond to complaints quickly and efficiently.
The Confederation of Roofing Contractors will happily give help and advice to customers who have not used a member of ours but we cannot contact roofers who are not members to mediate.
The Confederation of Roofing Contractors remain completely impartial to any complaint whilst mediating and will instruct one or both parties to seek legal advice should mediation fail.
The Confederation of Roofing Contractors carry out an ad hoc complaints process. We intend to try and resolve all matters however we are not legal arbitration and findings and resolutions are not legally binding.
We will work with you and the roofer to resolve your complaint as quickly as we can however, complaints which are more complex may take longer. Please be aware that the time of the complaints process can vary from case to case and we cannot put a time frame on a resolution.
What we cannot do
- Issue fines or monetary penalties to our members.
- Mediate a dispute if the work carried out is classed as a repair.
- We are unable to assist if the contractor has ceased to be a member of Confederation of Roofing Contractors but can provide advice for your next step.
- We are unable to assist if the customer has had anyone else on the roof after the work has been completed. This includes the homeowner, friends and especially roofers.
- We are unable to prevent a member from trading nor, prevent a member from closing their company.
- We are unable to assist if legal proceedings have been initiated or a third party is already involved in the complaint. This includes trading standards, solicitors and other trade bodies.
- The Confederation of Roofing Contractors are not responsible for or cannot guarantee a members work.
- The Confederation of Roofing Contractors cannot be involved with any works carried out outside of the UK.
- The Confederation of Roofing Contractors are not responsible for making a payment or pay any kind of compensation should a member be found liable for faulty workmanship or any damage caused to a consumers property.
- The Confederation of Roofing Contractors are unable to, by law, push or force a member into issuing an insurance backed guarantee. These are at the discretion of the roofer as it is a paid for product.
- We are governed by English law. We agree to the jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
All communication received by Confederation of Roofing Contractors, including but not limited to e mails, letters and telephone conversations, should be deemed as confidential in nature and cannot be used outside the remit of Confederation of Roofing Contractors.