Why should I choose a CORC member?

By choosing to use a member of the CORC you are ensuring that your contractor has been checked and vetted and has the correct insurances. Only our members can provide Insurance Backed Guarantees with their work, covering you should your contractor cease trading.


Do I need to notify building regulations?

Building regulations need to be contacted by the homeowner if 25% or more of your roof is being worked on. The CORC recommend giving building regulations a call as they will give you an answer over the phone straight away in regards to them having to come out. To contact building regulations call your local council and ask to speak to them.


Can my contractor start the job straight away?

Your contractor should give you a 14 day cooling off period document before any work is started. This gives the customer 14 days to cancel any works with no fees. The contractor cannot start work at any point during those 14 days. If you need the roofer to start earlier than 14 days or you have a problem which needs fixing sooner then you can sign a waiver form which waives your rights to the 14 day process and the roofer can start work immediately.


How do I get an Insurance Backed Guarantee?

Your roofer will order an Insurance Backed Guarantee once work has been completed. They send us an e mail ordering the guarantee and a confirmation of order will be sent back to you by your roofer within 48 hours. Customers are able to order and pay for a guarantee themself but we would need written permission from the roofer to go ahead.


Are Insurance Backed Guarantees compulsory?

We do ask that our members offer them with all of their work (apart from repairs as insurance does not cover repair work) however, Insurance Backed Guarantees are not compulsory by law.


Why do you not have customer reviews for your members?

Customer reviews can be biased. Anyone could leave reviews whether they are legitimate or not. A negative review can really harm a company so we like to ensure that rather than leaving a bad review, the customers call us and we try and deal with it for them. This way, we know that it is a factual complaint/review. We keep all complaints on our system and do have a right to let consumers know of any complaints before they use a company if they ask. We have a complaints form on our site that can be filled out and we will then investigate with the customer but we also have a anonymous customer satsifaction form that customers are also able to fill out if they do not want to take things further. This comes straight to the CORC.


I am not a roofer, how do I know my roof has been completed properly?

The only way to be sure is to use a RICS registered surveyor (fees applicable). RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) are an impartial company who will provide their own independant report on your roof to confirm everything has been done correctly. https://www.ricsfirms.com/


I cant find my contractor on your website?

This could mean that your contractor is not a member of ours and as such does not carry any of our benefits. In any case please call us on 01206 306600 or email membership@corc.co.uk to confirm that they are before you approve them to do any work for you.