May/June – Issue 18
This was previously sent in another newsletter however, we have since had to remove a member due to this.
Our code of conduct (found here: https://www.corc.co.uk/code-of-practice/) states that trade members shall avoid cold calling and doorstep pressure selling. Any of our members found to be doing this will be removed as a member immediately.
Recently we have received a high number of complaints and enquiries from members of the public who have had “roofers” knocking on their door telling them that they require minimal work done on their roof and it can be done immediately as they are in the area.
However, once given the authorisation to proceed the contractor comes down and informs the home owner that they have discovered that much more work is required and the cost is considerably more. This puts the home owner in a uncomfortable position as they feel pressurised into making a snap decision and in most cases it is the wrong one as they are being scammed by unscrupulous traders who are looking to take as much money as possible for work that clearly does not need doing.
The elderly and vulnerable are particularly targeted and the CORC are working closely with Trading Standards and Age Concern to ensure anyone looking to con a customer is brought to justice and prosecuted.
If you are aware of any traders or “crews” who are cold calling and operating in your area then please let us know immediately. All information received is totally confidential.
How to make the most of your membership
· Insurance backed guarantees and deposit protection insurance are a great selling tool. This gives your customers peace of mind and also, something most roofers do not seem to give. This is sure to help you win quotes. Please let us know via e mail if you need any insurance leaflets to give out to your customers.
· Complaints and Arbitration: You may have noticed that we do not have the facility for reviews on our site for our members. We feel that negative reviews can sometimes be biased or vindictive and can harm a company unnecessarily. With this in mind, we ask people to call us directly whether it be a complaint against one of our roofers or if our roofers need help dealing with a customer. Mark in the office deals with this and will help you in any way to try and resolve issues quickly and amicably.
· Social Media: We have a very active social media presence with a very large following. This makes it very easy to share and promote our roofers works and businesses. Please follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook and tag us in anything that you do so that we are able to share it with over 15,000 followers.
· Roof of the Month – Please send us your pictures for roof of the month. This is promoted on our website and all across social media.
· Motivation Monday: Also promoted across social media. A member was given a large contract on the strength of one of their photos this year.
· Website: Please check your listing on our website, this is where we can showcase what you do and is looked at by thousands of people a day. If anything needs changing please e mail us.
· Should you find you are having difficulties in getting a payment from a customer you can contact us and we will forward you to a company who will act on your behalf to ensure you get what is rightfully yours. Initial consultation is free to all CORC members and letters will be sent on your behalf if a customer has no valid reason to withhold your payment.
· We also have a solicitor who is available to give legal advice on any construction issue and we will keep you updated with any new laws or regulations that come into force and could affect you.
· Documents: We keep all documents you may need to help you remain compliant. Please e mail us should you need any templates for contracts, cooling off periods, guarantees etc.
If you have any questions or queries please e mail email@example.com or call 01206 306600.
Insurance Backed Guarantees
All members of the Confederation of Roofing can offer customers the benefit of a fully insured back up guarantee (IBG) that protects you should the contractor cease trading for any reason during the guarantee period.
As the only roofing association in the UK who can supply these guarantees on ANY new work it is a massive benefit for not only members but customers also and will keep you one step ahead of your competitors.
Many industries are now issuing an IBG as mandatory and this will include the roofing industry in the near future so please ensure you are offering them now as we will be actively encouraging the public to ensure they receive one.
The process is quick and simple and below are the typical costs and a list of questions that would be asked when securing one.
Deposit protection is also available and should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.
To order please e mail the answers to the following questions and send them to firstname.lastname@example.org before 2.00pm. Guarantees will be sent back to you the next working day:
Site address and postcode
Date the work was completed
Contract value including VAT
How many years you need the guarantee to cover
Is the property residential or commercial?
10 year – Residential
£1 – £6,000 = £30.00
£6,001 – £25,000 = £35.00,
£25,001 – £50,000 = £55.00
£50,001- £1,000,000 = 2% of contract value inclusive of VAT
New Members – April/May
We would like to welcome the following as our members; we know that their professionalism and hard work will be a credit to our industry.
· Central Milled Lead Ltd – 7640
· Ayrshire Roofing – 7641
· Causbrook Roofing & General Building Ltd – 7642
· Georoof Ltd – 7643
· Raven Roofing Ltd – 7644
· Steve Brown Builders – 7645
. FB Roofing & Building Ltd – 7645
· FB Roofing & Building Ltd – 7647
· Nadco Roofing Services – 7647
· Excellent Roofing Ltd – 7648
· SSR Roofing Ltd – 7649
· Top Choice Roofing – 7650
· Weather Protect Roofing Ltd – 7651
· Advanced Roofing Solutions – 7652
· Titan Property Management – 7653
· Bill Fitch Roofing – 7654
· Wabis Roofing Accessories – 7655
· RG Roofing Ltd – 7656
· Platinum Roofing & Repairs – 7657
· Minster Roofing York Ltd – 7658
Roof of the Month May 2019
|It was very close between all entrants and the public voted in their thousands. This month we have our first ever double winner! The winners and runners up are…….
Flat: LC Roofing Contractors Ltd
Pitch: Premier Roofcare Services Ltd
Well done to all!
Roof of the Month June is now open to win a FREE years membership in December 2019 please add your entries online or e mail them to email@example.com. You are able to enter up to three entries per month; a pitch roof, a flat roof or ‘other’
We are winners…….again!
To make a great start to the month, The Confederation of Roofing Contractors won Best Roofing Support Services Provider 2019 by the UK Enterprise Awards
We are extremely proud of this and thank you all for helping us get this far.