Your roof is a huge part of your home and choosing a roofer can sometimes be a complicated business! We have provided some of our top tips below on choosing a roofer to make it a smoother and easier process.
- Recieve quotes from at least 3 contractors. If possible, use a roofer from a reputable trade association who has been vetted and checked. Make sure you meet the roofer who will be doing the work. The CORC will provide you with approved members via the search engine on our homepage or alternatively call us on 01206 306600 where we will be glad to assist.
- It is your home so ask as many questions as you feel necessary. Ask advice on what materials they suggest to be used and why.
- Once you have recieved all of the quotes, put them together and read through what each of them have offered. Make your choice on the quality of the quote and your confidence in the contractor.
- Make sure that you recieve all documentation such as quotes, contracts and the 14 day cooling off period in writing.
- Ask for an Insurance Backed Guarantee for all new work (excluding repairs). This will cover you should your roofer cease to trade.
- Be aware that estimates can change once the contractor has removed the roof covering to expose the structure underneath. If the roofer does find further problems, they will need to confirm with you in writing the new estimate and what they will need to do.
- Make sure you agree payment terms before work has started. We would always recommend that work is completed in full before payment is made so you can ensure you are happy with the work and that your contractor has left the site in a clean and tidy condition. If your contractor would like a deposit and they are a member of the CORC, we can cover 25% of your contract value with a Deposit Protection Insurance ordered via your contractor.
- If you have 25% or more of your roof quoted for, you would need to contact building regulations. More information on this can be found here.
- If possible, try not to pay via cash as cash/VAT-free deals are not easily tracked if things go wrong.
The CORC provide a free help and advice service. We are able to provide you with a full list of our approved roofers near you if needed and are available should you need to ask us any questions or queries.